Friday, February 20, 2009

Vacation: Mexico and Honduras

My wife and just got back from vacation about a week ago and I am finally getting around to uploading some pictures. We went on a cruise that stopped in Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico; and Cozumel, Mexico. It was a seven day cruise through Royal Caribbean, so we had three days at sea. It was extremely relaxing and we had not a care in the world; exactly how vacations should be.

Our first stop was in Roatan, where we went to the beach for the morning through the early afternoon. It was possibly the most beautiful beach I have ever been on. I have never seen a beach so clean, and the water was absolutely gorgeous.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

At the beginning of this day I applied ample amounts of sunscreen, as directed by the packaging. I reapplied twice while on the beach and once more when I returned to the ship and sat on the top deck reading. The sunscreen was Neutrogena Ultra Sheer spray. To recap, I correctly applied this suncreen four times over the course of six hours. I was absolutely baked the next day! It was terrible, and my left shoulder was nearly purple. I should have taken a picture of the burn... I can not recommend avoiding this product enough. I should have made a shirtless video review to post on Amazon. Regardless of how terrible my burn was, I still managed to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

The following day, in Costa Maya, Mexico, where we went to Chaccoben, an ancient Maya city. I had always wanted to visit a Maya city. My wife was not as impressed, and commented on how she would rather be in the ocean with a cocktail. The following picture will show the sign that is the overlay of the city. Many of the buildings are still under foilage, rocks, and overgrown with jungle; but, you could see where they were.

Photobucket

We started the tour at the first temple (number 3 on the sign).

Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought this was pretty neat, and was not expecting to see much more. However, as we got further in the tour, we came upon a set of thirty some large stone steps. We were allowed to go up them (which was not allowed on the first temple).

Photobucket

Coming to the top of the stairs, I was blown away at the sight before me. Not only were there stairs to the top, but there was an entire level of grassland and several temples. This must have been a massive undertaking when constructed. The raised area contained temples 7, 8, 9, and 10.

This was the biggest temple on the top (number 10 on the sign).:

Photobucket

I made a panoramic picture of the area, which unfortunately I cannot make much bigger than it will show. If you would like the entire picture to see it in glorious detail, send me an email and I will attach it to the response. You can see on the left side of the picture two more small temples which had specific functions. The small temple on the right was used only by the astronomy families. Our guide also told us that it is believed that the temples were originally painted in red dye.

Photobucket

In Cozumel, Mexico, we went around with a couple from our dinner table that we had become friends with. Afterwards, we went on a Catmaran sailing excursion where did some SCUBA and then were dropped off at a beach for a little while.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some pictures from the ship:

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a great trip. I read a ton. I finished four books and clocked 1950 pages over the course of seven days.

Good tripping,

Plants and Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics